Everyone has experienced going to the doctor’s office and having to fill out the same seemingly endless forms, having to provide your driver’s license, your insurance card and other forms of photo ID. Imagine what it would be like to just walk into a doctor’s office or hospital, place your hand on a scanner and have the registrar greet you with a pleasant, “Good Morning Mrs. Smith, glad to see you again.”
It isn’t just a dream, it can be a reality if your healthcare facility employees a biometric positive patient registrationsystem. The idea of “checking in without a word” is one of the main reasons patients love biometric verification. It is quick, easy and absolutely identifies you as the right person. Receptionists will always know they are speaking to the right patient.
By making your patients feel less stressed at the point of registration, they start out with a great first impression of your health care facility. You have demonstrated that you really care, not only about their safety, but about not having to ask them the same questions every time they visit.
Misidentification at registration can be a major problem for healthcare facilities and have consequences for the patients. There are several reasons this happens and the result is the need to review all your identification documents. With biometric registration, all these concerns are eliminated because you know absolutely you are speaking to the right patient.
Reasons for Patient Misidentification
The 2016 National Patient Misidentification Report from the Ponemon Institute identifies that following reasons for patient misidentification:
- Incorrect patient identification at registration: 63 percent
- Time pressure when treating patients: 60 percent
- Insufficient employee/clinician training and awareness: 35 percent
- Too many duplicate medical records in system: 34 percent
- Registrar errors (human errors): 32 percent
- Turf or silo issues across departments/workflows: 29 percent
- Inadequate safety procedures: 20 percent
- Over reliance on homegrown identification system: 15 percent
Result of Patient Misidentification
- Patient record duplication – where a new record is created for the patient
- Patient record overlay – where two records are suspected of being the same patient and are combined adding invalid information to a patient record
- Medical Identity fraud – where one patient pretends to be another to gain access to care under a different name.
These results have a negative impact on the patient and the healthcare facility. Whether it is that invalid information has been added to their record,multiple records that leave out vital information, or someone is trying to falsely use their identity. The healthcare facility loses by having to spend valuable time and money correcting the problems that have been created due to the misidentification. By using a biometric registration system, these problems are virtually eliminated.
Getting Started with Biometric Patient Registration
Privasent offers secure biometric patient registration coupled with a smartcard. The smartcard adds an additional layer of security to the system and provides that “Checking In without a word” capability. If you would like to learn more about how you can provide absolute healthcare identification with biometrics, request a consultation.